I have never really tried making a casserole of any kind so I was surprised this one came out really good.We adjusted it though, to our liking and it came out really great. 🙂
Hope you enjoy!
Summary: Recipe adjusted from Pillsbury’s Spicy Unstuffed Peppers Casserole
- 1 box (6.2 oz) fast-cooking long-grain and wild rice mix (with seasoning packet)
- 1 1/2 lb lean (at least 80%) ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large red, green or yellow bell peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz) Muir Glen® organic diced tomatoes, undrained (We omitted this part)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (from 7-oz can), finely chopped (We substituted green chilies for chipotles)
- 1 can (12 oz) Pillsbury® Grands!® Jr. Golden Layers® refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- 1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 13×9-inch (3-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2. Cook rice as directed on package. Meanwhile, in 12-inch nonstick skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked. Remove beef from skillet; drain well.
- 3. In same skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook bell peppers in oil 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, chiles and cooked beef. Heat to boiling; remove from heat.
- 4. Separate dough into 10 biscuits. Spread cooked rice evenly in bottom of baking dish. Spoon hot beef mixture over rice. Top with biscuits. Bake immediately to ensure that bottoms of biscuits bake completely.
- 5. Bake uncovered 18 to 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and biscuits are golden. (It was more than 20 minutes for us in order to get the biscuit bottoms fully cooked).
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 45 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8-10 depending on how many spoonfuls you pour out. 🙂